Be Original

Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Death Will Not Be Televised--Goodbye Gil Scott-Heron

One of America's true poets died yesterday in NYC. A courageous, gifted man who, nevertheless, had his own demons to battle. I used to play The Revolution Will Not Be Televised in my Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill! sets with the hopes that people will ask me who it was expressing this rage with so much passion and charisma. I play it often to remind myself to stay angry, stay hungry. Goodbye and thank you.

Here's the Guardian obit. As with most cult figures, he had always had more recognition out of his own country: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/may/28/gil-scott-heron-obituary?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

This is the funk version that I always play on my sets. I can't think of a more powerful message that made you want to dance at the same time:


Battling demons:

No comments:

copyright

============================================================

Followers