Be Original

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Beignets and Étouffées. Food, New Orleans

I normally never take pictures of food or myself for this blog. I don't take good food pictures and I've been refusing to succumb to the Asian fixation of photographing one's food before one eats. But seeing as I was a total tourist in N'awlins, I thought what the heck. Still, half of what I ate I forgot to photograph which makes me wonder how people are able to stall their appetites for the sake of some lousy snaps. 

What can I say about the food there that hasn't already been said? So many cultures have come together in the creation of New Orleans cuisine today. You can even taste the many nuances. First up, though, a beignet and chicory coffee at Cafe Du Monde:

 Open 24 hours a day, y'all. What did I have for breakfast, at 4pm, after midnight? A ten minute walk to Cafe Du Monde at all those times and I was sated.
It was a total beignet addiction! 

The cafe is interesting, to say the least. 
Almost three quarters of its staff are made up of Vietnamese ladies, all speaking with a N'awlins drawl!




 Served with a cup of icing sugar.

Trying to maneuver the camera, take a photo of the food and camwhore at the same time.
It's hard work. I wouldn't recommend it.

Half eaten Étouffée. I forgot to take a picture. It was that good.

 The French market. No pictures of actual stalls allowed, so this is what I came up with.


Outside Acme Oyster House. Shepard Fairey was here.
There's a line every time for lunch and dinner.





Black beans and rice with grilled homemade chorizo

No comments:

copyright

============================================================

Followers