Be Original

Sunday, January 3, 2010

I Don't Want To Be That Girl



Before I begin...

I'm not being paid by Olympus to do this (although, if they threw me heaps of money, they would be most welcome to). I'm not a professional photographer. I've just fallen in love.

I'm not into sharing personal pictures online but ever since I got my Pen, things have changed. My pictures have taken on an Anton Corbijn effect on some, an early Cindy Shermanesque quality on others. This blog was conceived because of something an instructor said at a camera workshop I recently attended: "If you don't share your pictures, you might as well not have taken them." Which kinda got me thinking.

I'm sharing my pictures online now because my new camera makes me look like a pro.

It's also a camera I can actually show off and BOTH the pros and regular folk stop to stare. It makes me feel like I'm Marilyn Monroe and my white skirt just billowed up... and I liked it.

Mine has a steel body. Very retro. Very, very cool. I was hankering for the white one (beautiful!) but for some strange reason, it doesn't come with a two-lens kit option. Apparently, it works the same way fashion does -- couture comes at a price.

The Pen is like what Apple is to regular PCs. It has single-handedly sexed up the old SLR camera... and how! Kevin Spacey is fronting the series of ads. The award-winning Duncan Jones directs. Great copy. Spacey delivers it with so much sleekness, it makes you feel lousy for being the "camera" man -- "Mr. Super Zipper, 8-Pocket Camera Bag, 15 lenses, 3 tripods..." That, and a point-and-shooter. Or a tourist. Keyser Söze doesn't want to be that guy.

I don't want to be that girl.






4 comments:

Ed said...

Coool. Looking forward to some great pics. Laine is looking for a digital slr too but we haven't found the right one so far...

pinkflyingpigs said...

this must be fate. i lost the case of my canon ixus 85IS last week. kelvin chan says it's a sign to get an slr. & he said i'll love the olympus pen. it's "so you"! i actually kept a small leaflet of the camera in my bag. cos i fell in love with it at 1st sight. now this blog. *ponders* maybe i really shd check it out :) i'm jealous, mindy. haha!

Mindy Teh said...

:) Go get one. I got fed up of the point-and-shoots especially for night time shots. Kelvin does some travel articles for me and when you see those pictures, it makes you want an SLR too.

TAO said...

Very interesting post.

Periodically they'll be some online article bringing up the fact that most U.S. celebrities will hawk products everywhere but in their home country. I'm happy to have seen the Spacey spots for Olympus since they are both extremely good and illustrative of why that kind of advertisement won't work well here.

I've got a Lumix Micro Four Thirds system camera myself which I like very much. I've just started reading your blog (and enjoy it so far) and wonder if you've purchased any more lenses for the Pen? Maybe I'll find out as I progress in reading your posts.

copyright

============================================================

Followers